Monday, March 19, 2018

Why I Like Contemporary Christians


My paternal grandparents came to the United States in 1898.  They were fleeing from their home, which was then in Russia.  The town where they lived—today’s Bialystok, Poland—had just experienced a terrible pogrom.  Their Christian neighbors had rampaged through the streets beating and killing Jews.
The only way my grandparents survived was by barricading the door to their apartment.  It is easy to understand why they sought refuge in the United States.  They did not want to perish.  Nor did they want their two young daughters to suffer this fate.
European Jews had endured centuries of oppression.  They were forced to live in ghettoes.  Many occupations were closed to them.  And when things went wrong, they were accused of fomenting trouble.  Hitler was not their first tormentor.  During the Middle Ages, thousands were tortured and killed for ostensibly causing the plague.
No wonder I was raised to be wary of Christians.  No wonder a Jewish high school teacher felt justified in warning that it was a bad idea for Jews to marry Christians.  Those who surrounded me were aware of the legacy of oppression that haunted their co-religionists and were not about to take chances.
But the United States is not Europe.  Anti-Semitism exists on these shores, but is less virulent.  When growing up, half of my friends were Italian Catholics.  Not once did I fear that they would attack me for my faith.  Today, I am married to a woman who was raised an evangelical.  Not once have we fought about religious differences.
The Spanish Inquisition has been discontinued.  Jews may not be welcome in every country club, but few neighborhoods are completely closed to them.  Meanwhile, the Muslim Louis Farrakhan spews vile nonsense to receptive congregations; whereas most American Christians reject his racist drivel out of hand.
The fact is that I like most contemporary American Christians.  What is more, I admire many.  Recently my wife and I went to a Lenten fish fry at a local church.  These were nice people.  They were warm and welcoming.  Why would I fear them?
In fact, observant Christians and I share many values.  We all believe in honesty, fairness, and personal responsibility.  We all stress the importance of family values.  When it comes to these crucial principles, we are allies—not adversaries.
What is more, Christians who practice their faith are often good people.  A dedication to their faith is part of the reason that they treat others decently.  Why would I be against that?
Not long ago, I attended a debate about whether the gospels were historically reliable.  Both protagonists were college professors.   Both had been raised Christian, but one had become an agnostic.  Theirs was an open and honest discussion.  It was a demonstration that modern Christianity is vibrant and tolerant.
This broadmindedness was evident not only on the stage, but in the audience.  When it came time for the listeners to ask questions, they did so thoughtfully and respectfully.  They were sincerely grappling with how to interpret their faith.
I appreciate this attitude.  It is a far cry from what I once believed of Christian fundamentalists.  When I moved to Georgia, I feared that I was entering the Bible Belt.  I worried that I might be trapped in an updated version of Inherit the Wind.
This turned out to be an absurd caricature.  So far were my neighbors from being rigid ideologues that many of my KSU students did not realize they were Protestants.  They knew they were Baptists, but were so devoid of denominational awareness that they knew nothing of their church’s historical legacy.
When Thomas Jefferson was fighting for religious liberty in colonial Virginia, the Anglican Church was the established church.  Even non-believers had to pay taxes to support it.  When Cotton Mather was preaching from his New England pulpit, dissenters were forcibly ejected from Massachusetts.  In some cases, they were executed.
That was then.  This is now.  Why would I want to live in the past because of injustices done to my forebears?  Why would I refuse to embrace good people merely because they believe a religion that has a checkered history?  I may not be a Christian, but I happily defend today’s Christianity.
Melvyn L. Fein, Ph.D.
Professor of Sociology
Kennesaw State University


No comments:

Post a Comment