Tuesday, January 2, 2018

How Much Change Can We Expect?


As the New Year dawns, it is wise to remember that major changes always take time.  Despite our impatience to fix what is broken, political efforts at reform are never fully successful.  Despite the highest of hopes, we generally blunder along much as we previously have.
When I was young, like most young people, I intended to remake the world.  Well educated and as yet uncorrupted, I would participate in effecting what the bitter elder generation had not.  It was just a matter of employing my intelligence and integrity to substitute the good for the bad.
It was not until my early twenties that it occurred to me that this task might be beyond my reach.  Only then did I realize that if I could not reform my own parents, there was not much chance of reforming everyone else’s.  They too would resist my compelling logic and captivating enthusiasm.
By the time I was in my late twenties, I had an even more daunting realization.  Not only did older folks resist change; so did I.  As a child, I assumed that as a grown up I would straightforwardly become the person I intended to be.  It was simply a question of deciding what I wanted and doing it.
Somehow, however, my formative fears did not disappear.  Nor did the skills I desired magically materialize.  Worse still, I did not always know what I wanted or what would be best.  The future was not merely a blank slate; it was shrouded in mystery.
Sociologists talk about “cultural lag.”  They have learned that despite our quest for improvements, we tend to hold on to the familiar.  Our ideas about the world generally replicate the ones we adopted when young.  Likewise our problem-solving strategies are usually copies of old habits.
Talk about a brave new world therefore tends to be little more than talk.  Although we may be utterly sincere, when the rubber meets the road the best we can manage are small variations on time-honored themes.
If you are a liberal that means you want a bigger government and more regulations.  Evidence that this does not work as you supposed is discounted.  Failures are perpetually rationalized and enemies blamed for setbacks.  Moreover, the suspicion that you could be wrong is never entertained.
If you are a conservative, you trust that traditional religion and/or a free market can remedy any adversity.  You never question these ancient verities or investigate their limitations.  Instead, you too explain away apparent obstacles and cling to the tried and true.
Change, when it does come, is consequently a surprise.  To wit: who predicted the effects of the computer revolution when telephones had rotary dials?  Similarly, who, a century ago, imagined that we would be protecting extraordinarily busy airports from Islamist terrorists?
So what does this mean for the next year?  The economy may boom—or perhaps not.  We might reach a dramatic flashpoint with North Korea—or maybe we won’t.  There will surely be elections in which the Democrats will win—or is that the Republicans? 
A safer prediction is that our culture wars will remain at high dudgeon.  Liberals and conservatives will not reconcile.  Nor will President Trump and the media become friends.  Although the pundits will continue to give advice that goes unheeded, were it followed it would usually not work.
Nor will there be many apologies for the mistakes people make.  Once again, we will be treated to analysts spouting misleading talking points.  Once more, most members of the pubic will not pay attention.  Yet again, we will live our private lives much as we have this past year.
But that will not deter people like me from pontificating.  Nor will it keep heads from shaking at the inanities of others or fingers from waging at the slip-ups of our opponents.  Irrespective of calls to cease being judgmental, negative judgments will proliferate.
What is more, even if the economy booms, there will be pockets of unhappiness.  And even if peace breaks out in the Middle East, it will flare up elsewhere.  The fact is that we, as a species, are never completely satisfied.  Nor are we, regardless of our triumphs, in full control of our destiny.
My conclusion: there will be some change, much of which will surprise us.
Melvyn L. Fein, Ph.D.
Professor of Sociology

Kennesaw State University

No comments:

Post a Comment