Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Sam Olen: Welcome to KSU


Sam Olens has been President of Kennesaw State University for almost a month now and I am just getting around to welcoming him aboard.  My only excuse is that this has been a very busy political month and my attention has been elsewhere.
In any event, I am not one of those at the school who has misgivings about his taking over the reins of power.  So far as I am concerned, he is a very good man who is assuming a very demanding position.  I therefore wish him well and hope that he can continue the trajectory of his predecessor.
When rumor had it that Olens would be appointed to run KSU, gossip about what this meant ran rampant through the faculty.  Most of my colleagues knew only that he was Georgia’s Attorney General.  They had no idea of the sort of person he was.  As a result, many came to me to ask my opinion.
As it happened, I had had contact with Olens.  Not only had I met him, but on several occasions had long conversations with him.  My take away from these was that he was a smart and decent human being who was concerned with doing the best he could for the community.
Let me explain a bit further.  First, I found Olens to be a good listener.  He did not seem to have an agenda that he was waiting to foist on me.  Instead, he paid attention to what I said and responded appropriately.
Second, he impressed me as a pragmatist.  He evidently wanted to do the right thing, but, at least as importantly, he wanted to do what worked.  This meant that he considered a variety of options and contemplated their implications.  The objective was not merely to address a problem, but to solve it.
Third, this was a man who was obviously respectful of others.  There was no bragging, no bullying, no holier than thou posturing.  From what I knew about his earlier tenure on Cobb County’s Board of Commissioners, I understood why he had not alienated his associates.  No doubt, he showed them the same consideration he did me.
From my perspective, there was consequently no reason that such a person could not work well as an academic administrator.  Some KSU professors, as is widely known, did not come to this conclusion.  They were especially upset with the way Olens had been selected.  As they saw it, this was a violation of shared governance.
Although I am not exactly sure about the nature of the behind the scenes maneuvering that produced Olens’ appointment, the scuttlebutt is that Governor Deal orchestrated it.  He is said to have wanted one of his own men to succeed him in office.
Whatever the truth, Olens is more than qualified to lead a major university.  Some KSU faculty members worry that because he is not an academic, he will not be sensitive to academic needs.  This strikes me as an unnecessary concern.  Any college president has to be alert to the requirements of subordinates from differing backgrounds.
The fact that Olens is a lawyer should not matter.  In my department, three of our professors are actually lawyers.  As for Dan Papp, our previous President, he was a political scientist.  Did this prevent him from appreciating the needs of the chemistry department or the school of music?
The job of a college president is largely political.  He (or she) must balance the demands of many competing constituencies.  Given the limited resources and the huge differences in priorities, there will always be conflicts that must be tamped down.  This ability, thus, counts for more than the character of his advanced degree.
Some of my KSU peers are still unhappy with what occurred.  Despite Olens efforts to be conciliatory, they are distressed by the politics that led to his selection.  For some, the fact that he is a Republican is also not irrelevant.  They are convinced that conservatives, in general, are too inconsiderate to run a university.
But most of our students are just fine with what occurred.  As for me, I say Sam Olens needs to be given a chance.  Indeed, I am rooting for him to succeed.  If he does, I believe this will redound to the benefit of even those who continue to harbor doubts about him.
Melvyn L. Fein, Ph.D.
Professor of Sociology

Kennesaw State University

No comments:

Post a Comment