Monday, September 7, 2015

The Hallowed Out University


For years I have been reluctant to write about the problem of “compression” for fear of sounding like sour grapes.  Recently, however, I heard a television commentator assert that our colleges are so expensive because professors get paid too much.  This is a serious misunderstanding.
Before I proceed, let me make several things clear.  I love college teaching.  I also love the freedom it provides to pursue scholarship.  Moreover, my wife and I live comfortably.  While the issues I am about to discuss rankle, I am a big boy who freely chose to do what I am doing.
So what is compression?  Over the last couple of decades the salary differential between newly hired and senior faculty has shrunk.  It is currently almost at the vanishing point.  Recent Ph.D.’s with no experience and few publications earn nearly as much as the most productive full professors.
Let me be specific.  I earn scarcely more than $10,000 above my novice colleagues.  Despite a quarter of a century at Kennesaw State, sixteen published books, many journal articles, hundreds of newspaper columns, editorship of a professional journal, and excellent teaching evaluations, my income has remained static.  Raises, when they come, are trivial.
 Why is this so?  The answer is that if our university did not compete to attract competent junior faculty, our assistant professors would be a sorry lot.  As a consequence, the funds to pay them are extracted from the budget that might pay me.
Although faculty at elite institutions do well financially, those at schools like Kennesaw do not.  I literally make fifty thousand dollars less than is paid to high school teachers in places like Chicago.   I actually make less than many police officers.
To make matters more degrading, college administrators are paid far more than professors.  The presidents of large institutions, for instance, routinely make at least five to ten times what I do.  Although many are good at their jobs and deserve to be adequately compensated—what about me?
It is an open secret at mid-level universities that if faculty members wish to earn more, they must switch to the administrative track.  If they do, they will immediately be rewarded with twenty, thirty and even fifty thousand more.
Ordinary professors, on the other hand, are constantly pressured to “publish or perish.”  But if they do, their only recompense is to avoid being dismissed.  Where then is the incentive to do one’s best?
Readers may be saying to themselves; well, these folks made their bed: let them lie in it.  Besides, they are crowd of left wing zealots who are corrupting our children.  If they are suffering, their distress is richly deserved.
This, however, is shortsighted.  It is not for nothing that we say: You get what you pay for.  Consequently if we pay full professors chickenfeed, we should not be surprised to find colleges filled with chickens.
Reality has not yet caught up with this bald fact.  College teaching is so attractive that we have maintained adequate recruitment into the faculty’s lower ranks.  Nonetheless, this cannot continue.  Word will get out that there is no future in becoming a professor; hence the best and brightest will shy away.
Most conservatives already find superior respect and compensation beyond academe.  Do we wish to continue this trend?  If we do, the endpoint is predictable.  We are in the process of creating hallowed out universities.  The halls of ivy remain, but their intellectual eminence is swiftly becoming history.
With a college education more necessary than ever to produce the self-motivated experts needed by a mass techno-commercial society, this is a self-defeating policy.  If we are no longer able to transmit wisdom to the younger generation because those who possess it have gone elsewhere, what is to become of us?
Still I am not going anywhere.  I really do love KSU.  But where are the competent educators who will replace me?  Many, I am afraid, have decided to pursue more lucrative careers outside higher education.
Melvyn L. Fein, Ph.D.
Professor of Sociology

Kennesaw State University

No comments:

Post a Comment