Tuesday, October 4, 2016

So What If I Am Called a Racist


Many years ago, I wrote a book called Race and Morality.  In it, I told a story about when I was a cabdriver in New York City.  Although I hate to repeat myself, the moral of that tale has a direct bearing on current race relations.
At the time, I was completing my Ph.D. in sociology at the City University of New York.  Like many a poor graduate student, I was running out of funds and therefore found work where I could.  While I understood that more cabdrivers were being killed than cops, I decided to take the risk.
Right from the start, I was warned not to pick up every potential fare.  The Black and Hispanic drivers were particularly adamant.  If I valued my safety, there were places I should not drive and customers for whom I ought not stop.
But I was a sociology student.  For years, I had been marinated in progressive ideals.  Virtually everyone I knew believed that it was essential not to treat people differently because of race or ethnicity.  Besides, I prided myself on not being a racist.
And so, early one morning I pulled over for a questionable passenger.  It was four AM in the morning and pitch dark.  This was at the start of my shift, just as I crossed over the bridge from Brooklyn into Manhattan.  Now a black man in a pimp suit flagged me down.  Having previously worked in Harlem, I knew exactly what his felt hat and flashy clothes meant.
I stopped anyway.  I was not going to discriminate merely because someone had a dubious profession.  Then my new fare told we where he wanted to go.  His destination was in the heart of Bedford Stuyvesant.  As I also knew from personal experience, this was one of the most dangerous parts of the city.
The next twenty minutes were among the most frightening I have ever experienced.  My mind was racing.  What if when we got to where we were going, he decided to mug me?  Bigger and obviously more menacing than me, how could I protect myself?
And what if he was meeting several of his buddies?  If they ganged up and robbed me, was there anything I could do to prevent this?  In fact, when we arrived on the scene, he simply paid me and exited the cab.  There was no drama; no threats; not even a hint of danger.
Nonetheless, I immediately put on my off-duty sign.  I was not going to take the chance of picking up another passenger in that neighborhood.  Then and there, I vowed I would rather be thought of as a live racist, rather than a dead hero.  My reputation among those who did not realize the seriousness of my plight mattered less to me than my personal survival.
Nowadays police officers often find themselves in a similar position.  They are frequently confronted with potential lawbreakers whose intentions they cannot know.  Thus, when they encounter someone brandishing a gun, how much restraint should they exercise?  Must they wait for shots to be fired before they respond in kind?
The Black Lives Matter folks have no doubts.  According to them, cops must never initiate violence.  They must always make absolutely certain that their own lives are in peril.  Anything less is deemed irresponsible.
I am not so sure.  Having been vulnerable myself, I empathize with their situation.  I know that ambiguous circumstances can be difficult to call.  What is more, I believe that blue lives matter.  The police have the right to protect themselves, even though they sometimes make mistakes.
I will go even further.  The police have a duty to protect themselves.  If they do not, law and order becomes a sham.  Once it is open season on law enforcement agent, the thugs of this world will have field day.  In this case, we will all be in danger.
If this opinion makes me a racist, so be it.  I know that I believe in treating people equally irrespective of skin color.  Others may come to a different conclusion, but if they have never themselves been in jeopardy, I do not trust their judgment.
Melvyn L. Fein, Ph.D.
Professor of Sociology

Kennesaw State University

No comments:

Post a Comment