Saturday, July 16, 2016

A Walking Man--and Woman


The television ads are hard to ignore.  We are being told that walking is good for our health.  If we just get out there and enjoy the fresh air and beautiful scenery, we will live longer and more happily.  I have no reason to doubt this advice.  Indeed, I am a wholehearted subscriber.
In fact, I have always been a walker.  As a small boy I walked to P.S. 153, while as a teenager I walked to Lincoln High School.  I even walked four miles from Brooklyn College to my small apartment.  Without access to an automobile, I sometimes had little choice.
Nonetheless, walking became a way of life.  It gave me time to think.  It permitted me to exclude distractions that might have prevented me from solving knotty problems.  But it also gave me exercise that I was not getting elsewhere.
As a consequence, I continued this habit well into adulthood.  Even after I owned a car, I routinely engaged in what Harry Truman called constitutionals.  Thus, in the middle of a Rochester New York winter I bundled up and might not return home for hours.
There was no question but that I would persist in this practice when I moved to Georgia.  The weather was sometimes warmer, but the greenery and singing birds could be extraordinarily rewarding.  They lifted my spirits and converted many a nasty day into a satisfying one.
Another advantage that I had not anticipated is that I became known as the “walking man.”  Neighbors, whom I did not know, got to know me because they saw me perambulating in front of their houses.  In time they said hello—and I to them—and we ultimately struck up conversations.
I also began to talk to fellow walkers.  Hence at one point I encountered an older gentleman who looked as if he might be from India.  It turned out that he was.  Indeed, he was visiting his two daughters who now lived in the United States.  One was a doctor and the other a lawyer.
As he explained, he was himself an attorney.  But more than this, he had served in the Indian parliament.  As a member of the Congress party, he had been a colleague of Nehru and participated in the creation of an independent nation.  From my perspective, this was living history.  It enabled me to touch a corner of the world that was far from my own experience.
I also learned about his home state of Kerala.  Before this I had not realized that, from before the time of the Roman Empire, there had been a thriving trade across the Indian Ocean.  This explained, in part, why so many Keralans were Christians and had Christian surnames.
Nowadays, as a resident of Cherokee County, I continue to walk.  And I continue to meet people along the way.  The biggest difference is that I currently do so in the company of my wife.  If the truth be told, it is frequently she who motivates us to get out on a warm Georgia day.
Oh, did I mention that it can get hot in Georgia?  This sometimes makes it imperative to get out very early in the mornings.  Nonetheless, there are compensations.  For instance, my wife and I have taken to counting rabbits.  So far our highest total has been an eight rabbit day.
Moreover, the doctor tells me that I am on the cusp of diabetes.  Since both of my parents developed this disease, I expect that my turn will come.  But I am fighting it and one of my primary weapons is walking.  The good news is that this defense has other paybacks.
Perhaps the greatest benefit is that Georgia can be so beautiful.  I have never lived anywhere surrounded by as many flowers.  My neighbors may be raising them for their own enjoyment, but they fill me with joy as well.  What is more, in walking, I go slowly enough to savor their grandeur.
Melvyn L. Fein, Ph.D.
Professor of Sociology

Kennesaw State University

No comments:

Post a Comment