Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Commuting Georgia Style


When finishing up my doctoral studies at the Graduate Center of the City University of New York, I was going to school in mid-town Manhattan, but living in the southern part of Brooklyn.  This required that I commute daily back and forth by subway.
The trip took about an hour and half in each direction and obliged me to stand most of the way, sandwiched in between other standing commuters.  There was no possibility of reading a book, given the constant jostling and noise.  The only option was to grin and bear it, while hanging on to a subway strap.
 As a native New Yorker, I had grown accustomed to this form of torture.  It seemed normal and inescapable.  But then something happened that changed my perspective.  I experienced a commute that was so horrendous it made me reevaluate everything I believed.
This time when I entered the subway car in Manhattan, I found a young man standing at the end of the coach with a huge radio on his shoulder.  He seemed to be playing it as loud as he could, but no one approached him to ask that he lower the volume because it looked as if he might turn violent.
At this point, I concluded that this was New York and hence discomfort came with the territory.  But then, about three stations later, another young man, with an even bigger radio, boarded our car.  He soon began playing dueling radios with the first fellow, apparently to see whose boom box was the most powerful.
For the next forty-five minutes or so, I stood there muttering to myself that there had to be a better way to live.  It was at this moment that I resolved to leave New York.  Not long thereafter I did and have never regretted my choice.
Today I live in Cherokee County, but commute to my job as a professor in Cobb County.  The automobile ride from Canton to Kennesaw State University takes about thirty-five minutes.  Of course, when I resided in Cobb, the trip took only about twenty minutes.
The bottom line is that it now takes me about fifteen minutes longer to get to work than it did before.  Most of this journey is on I-575, with this being the quickest part of the journey.  Sometimes I ride with my wife—who is also a professor at KSU—yet most of the time, because our schedules differ, I am alone.
As other residents of Cherokee will know, this trip has recently been made more difficult by construction along the highway.  An express lane is being added, so in the meantime barricades have restricted the roadway’s width, thereby slowing things down and making it more uncomfortable to navigate.
Still, I am not complaining.  I have a standard of comparison.  Whenever traffic is reduced to a crawl, I remember the New York subway.  Back then, I was standing, but now am sitting.  Back then, I was forced to hear the most obnoxious heavy-metal, whereas today Bach, Mozart, and Beethoven soothe my jangled nerves.
Moreover, Georgia drivers are so polite.  Oh yes, there is the occasional fool who drives too fast and cuts in when he shouldn’t.  By and large, however, people are courteous.  They allow their fellow motorists to change lanes and wait patiently in line at the stoplights that regulate access to the highway.
Did I mention that I was once a cab driver in New York?  Well, I was.  And so I know, from bitter experience, what cutthroat, bumper derby traffic is like.  I have also spent hours on the roads of south Florida, so I am also aware of what vehicular craziness looks like.
Commuting here in north Georgia is, by comparison, a walk in the park.  Traffic is never fun, but I get to rehearse my day before entering the classroom in the morning and to decompress in the afternoon after struggling with students during the intervening hours.
How bad is that?  I count myself lucky and therefore sanguinely tolerate the construction stops.  They are worth the price.
Melvyn L. Fein, Ph.D.
Professor of Sociology

Kennesaw State University

No comments:

Post a Comment