Sunday, August 1, 2010

Racism Redux

Now that racism has been reintroduced into our political mainstream, it is time for a little perspective. To this end, let me begin with a personal story.
Way back during the Viet Nam War era, I was in basic training at Fort Leonard Wood Missouri. As part of the process, I was assigned KP (kitchen patrol). The idea was to help the cooks with the physical aspects of meal preparation.
All went well until it was time to return to my barracks. At this point, with the other KP’s having been dismissed, it was only me and the lowest ranking cook left to finish up. He then turned to me and with a grin snarled, “Ok, Jew boy, your a** is mine.” Next he set me to work at the worst kitchen tasks such as dismantling the grease trap.
While I was so engaged, one of my squad’s acting sergeants happened by. What, he asked, was I still doing on KP? Didn’t I know it was supposed to be over? I then explained that the corporal wouldn’t let me go.
This fellow trainee immediately went to fetch one of the regular sergeants. Once he arrived, I was instantly dispatched back to my unit. The sergeant then stayed behind to give the corporal a few choice words of advice.
The question is, how should I have responded to this affair? Should the lesson learned have been that most Christians are fundamentally untrustworthy; that sooner or later their latent anti-Semitism will emerge?
I could have responded that way, but I did not. I could have concentrated on the bigotry of the corporal who sought to degrade me, but then I would have ignored the decency of the two Christians who saved me. Had I done so, this would have been as much of an injustice as the one visited on me.
Nowadays with the Obama administration under siege, there as been a tendency for Democrats to react in the manner I might have. From the president of the NAACP to representatives of the Obama’s Justice Department, there have been volleys of incendiary accusations. Those who disagree with the president about anything from immigration policy to the Gulf oil spill are said to be motivated by racism.
Members of the tea party movement, in particular, have been singled out for vehement denunciation. Despite incredibly little evidence of overt racist behavior, they are characterized as fire-breathing bigots. This alone is said to explain the intensity of their opposition to our chief executive.
This, however, is a serious mistake. It blatantly fails to distinguish between the good guys and the bad guys. There are real racists in America. There are people who judge others solely by the color of their skin. Nevertheless, few of the tea party people are among their number.
The failure of many liberals to make this distinction is comparable to what I might have done when on KP. It is to tar everyone from whom one might differ with the same brush. As such, it is itself a form of prejudice.
Whatever the political motives of those so engaged, this sort of conduct perpetuates unfairness and discord. Instead of bringing people together, it fosters distrust and misunderstanding. In other words, it encourages exactly the sort of bias it allegedly seeks to prevent.
The real message should be this. The way to bring about fairness and equality is to treat people fairly and equally. This especially includes those with whom one might disagree. To do less is to invite their displeasure and ultimately opposition.
Back at Fort Leonard Wood I might have exhibited a similar lack of gratitude. But would this have been just? Would it have acknowledged the integrity of those who came to my rescue?
Shouldn’t liberals, who endlessly boast of their moral credentials, be at least as evenhanded? Shouldn’t they seek to lead by example rather than stir the social pot for a temporary political advantage?
Melvyn L. Fein. Ph.D.
Professor of Sociology
Kennesaw State University

No comments:

Post a Comment